Thursday, July 19, 2012

French Style Potato Salad


It's still potato salad season, which makes me so happy since I love potato salads. And as much as I enjoy those all-American potato salads, like Rosanne Cash's potato salad or the potato salad from Spinelli's Market in Denver (if you're in Denver and have never been there you are missing out big time), I sometimes need a mayo break. When I was looking around for a non-mayo potato salad recipe, I found this one, and because it was an Ina Garten recipe, I decided I needed to try it.


This potato salad is a lighter version of what usually gets served at a backyard barbecue, but the flavor is delicious and you don't feel as bad having seconds or thirds. Sadly, I did not have as pretty of an assortment of potatoes in my salad as Ina did, but the flavor was still great. If you're going for looks, I'd stick with using a colorful combination of boiling potatoes (I only had white ones). As always with Ina Garten recipes, I reduced the amount of olive oil used and still had a tasty end result.



Adapted from Ina Garten
Serves 4 to 6

1 pound small white boiling potatoes
1 pound small red boiling potatoes
2 tablespoons good dry white wine
2 tablespoons chicken stock
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 to 7 tablespoons good olive oil
1/4 cup minced scallions (white and green parts)
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the potatoes for 15 to 25 minutes, until just cooked through (do not over cook them). Drain the potatoes and place them in a colander. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow them to steam for 10 minutes. Once the potatoes have cooled enough and you can handle them, cut them in half or in quarters, depending on their size. Carefully toss with the wine and chicken stock. Allow the potatoes to soak in the liquids before continuing.

Combine the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil. Add the mixture to the potatoes. Add the scallion, dill, parsley, basil and salt an pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper). Serve warm or at room temperature.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment