Friday, May 25, 2012

Rosanne Cash's Potato Salad


Last summer, my sister mentioned that she found a great potato salad recipe. Somehow, we both forgot about it until I was visiting her last week. We wanted to have the first barbecue of the summer and I asked her if she knew of any good potato salad recipes to make as a side. We both had one of those "haven't we had this conversation before?" moments and she quickly pulled up this recipe. I have to admit that potato salads are one of those dishes where I find mayo acceptable. I try to avoid it for many reasons in my everyday cooking (I once worked in a restaurant with giant tubs of mayo, which is extremely off putting when you see it on a daily basis), but there are a handful or traditional, old school recipes that wouldn't be complete without the addition of mayo.


Roseanne Cash (Johnny Cash's daughter) created the original recipe for this potato salad. Deb from Smitten Kitchen tweaked it by adding more seasoning to it, and I just made one change. I try to avoid using raw onions when I can. I don't mind them, but if I can easily swap red or white onions for scallions in a recipe, I usually do it. Also, go ahead and make half of this recipe if you're cooking for fewer people. This make A LOT of potato salad. If you prefer red onions over scallions, feel free to use them instead. This potato salad is a great, all American type of recipe that make an excellent side to any summer meal.




Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit via Smitten Kitchen
Serves 10

3 pounds red skinned potatoes, unpeeled and washed
8 dill pickle spears and a handful of cornichon, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 celery stalked, chopped (about 1 cup)
3 to 4 scallions or 1 small red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook the potatoes until they are fork-tender (about 30 minutes). In the meantime, whisk together the mayo, mustard, vinegar, and dill in a large serving bowl. Add the celery, scallions (or red onions), pickles and eggs to the bowl.

Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and allow them to cool. When you can handle them, cut them into chunks and add them to the  bowl.  Mix all the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment