Monday, October 14, 2013

Spanish Rice


I was sitting at home one lazy Sunday evening really, really not in the mood to cook. So instead of cooking, I started looking at recipes online. I stumbled upon a recipe for Spanish rice, then I found a few more. None of them were exactly what I was looking for, so I combined a couple recipes and came up wit this one.


Many Spanish rice recipes don't use bell peppers, but I prefer adding one. I also found that many recipes were either way too unhealthy (1/4 cup of butter was used in one of them) and some sounded too bland. This recipe is actually really easy to make and is a perfect side dish for any Tex Mex of Mexican inspired meal. I served this with fajitas for a really, really filling meal.


2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups of rice (I use basmati)
1 red pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 cups water
1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 bouillon cube (I use chicken)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 bay leaf

In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the rice, red pepper, and onion and cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring often.

Add the remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the saucepan and reduce heat to low. Allow to cook for 15 minutes, or until rice is cooked through.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment