Monday, October 28, 2013

Hoisin Cocktail Meatballs


I sometime find it really hard to come up with appetizer ideas. I think I rotate the same few ideas and realized that lately I'm tired of those. Recently one of my friends just moved and had a housewarming party where everybody brought an appetizer/finger food. I wanted to make something new and began looking around. I knew I wanted to make meatballs of some sort, but didn't want your classic Italian style option.

I came across this recipe after looking through many, many Asian meatball ideas. I knew I wanted to serve them with a sauce, which surprisingly is not included in many recipes. I also knew that I didn't want to do anything too complicated or with too many ingredients I didn't already have. All I can say is that these meatballs are pretty amazing. This was one of the first dishes to be eaten at the party. Some people didn't even notice the sauce next to them and still loved them. I personally find that the sauce makes these meatballs. It would also make a great marinade if you have some leftover (which I did). If you want, you could even chop in come hot peppers or Thai chilis for an added kick.



Recipe from Taste of Home

For the meatballs:
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
3 tablespoons chopped green onions
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (preferably lean)

For the sauce:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoons minced ginger.

Preheat your oven to 350ºF/175ºC. Lightly coat a 9"x13" glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the meatballs. Shape into 32 meatballs and place them into the baking dish. Bake the meatballs, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink.

In the meantime, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan. Heat until just warmed and serve with the meatballs. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment