Thursday, August 22, 2013

Italian Style Pasta Salad


Last summer, I began looking for a good pasta salad recipe. I wanted one without any mayo and with and Italian dressing, but most I came across used bottles dressing. I wasn't looking for anything new and exciting, just classic American/Italian pasta salad. Even though I rarely have pasta salad when I visit my family in the U.S., I seem to want it now and then over here.


I found a recipe for homemade Italian salad dressing that sounded close to what I was looking for. I added what I enjoy to the pasta salad itself, but feel free to add any veggies, cheese, or meat you like to have in yours. I would normally add some black olives, but I made this for a dinner where there was more than one olive-hater invited.

Dressing recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

For the dressing:
1 tablespoon garlic salt
3/4 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano (if your oregano is coarse, rub it between your hand to get smaller pieces)
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley

For the pasta salad:
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1/3 of a hothouse cucumber, diced
1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
2 green onions, chopped

In your serving bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients.

Cook your pasta until done. Run under cold water until cold. Add it to the bowl with dressing along with all of the veggies. Mix and serve. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment