Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Twice Baked Potatoes


Potatoes are my ultimate comfort food. When I am just cooking for myself, I find that I often just bake (or microwave when I am lazy) a potato and top with with some cheese, veggies, or whatever I have in the kitchen. Or I make myself a tortilla española (an omeletted made with potatoes onions) and convince myself I am having a balanced meal since the eggs contain protein. Twice baked potatoes are one of my favorite ways to eat a potato while keeping it simple. I love the combo of sour cream and potatoes, so pretty much any recipe that uses those 2 ingredient (potato skins or latkes anyone?) will be an instant hit with me.


Although this recipe is time consuming, it's really easy to make. Baking potatoes always makes me impatient since they seem to take forever, but the flavor and texture is not comprable to that of a microwaved potato. Scooping the flesh out of the potato requires a little bit of patience (which I sometimes lack when I'm hungry), but was actually easier to do than I expected. I also added extra sour cream to my completed twice baked potato because I love it that much. Luckily it was just my mom and I eating these, and she is well aware of my love for sour cream. If you can find Straus sour cream, it is my favorite sour cream out there and well worth the extra dollar.

Recipe from Allrecipes.com
Serves 4

4 large russet potatoes, washed and dried
8 slices of bacon (optional)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
8 green onions, sliced and divided

Preheat your oven to 350ºF/175ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Once heated, place the potatoes on the baking sheet and bake the potatoes for 1 hour.

In the meantime, cook the bacon (if using) in a skillet over medium-high heat until brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.

When the potatoes are cooked, allow the to cool for 10 minutes. When they are no longer too hot to touch, slice the potatoes in half, lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the flesh of the potatoes and place it in a large bowl. Set the skins aside. Add the sour cream, milk, butter, salt, pepper, half the cheese and half the green onions to the bowl with the potato flesh. Using a hand mixer, mix the ingredients until creamy. Spoon this mixture evenly into the potato skins and place the potato skins back on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and onions over the filled potatoes. Bake another 15 minutes and serve.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment