Monday, September 10, 2012

Honey Garlic Spareribs


I was in a ribs mood a few weeks ago and went on the hunt for an easy recipe with simple ingredients. When I found this one I realized I had all the ingredients at home already and gave it a try. The first time I made these, I served it to my roommates, who were all fans. We devoured them all, even though both of the guys claimed they weren't hungry. These ribs are not smothered in a barbecue sauce, so don't expect anything that will require 1,000 napkins. They're baked in a marinade, which flavors the ribs in a delicious way.


When you make these, make sure your garlic is really finely chopped. I made these a second time and got a little lazy (didn't simmer the marinade as long and only roughly chopped the garlic) and the flavor was not as good. I've made this with and without the brown sugar and both tasted great. The recipe requires lots of baking time, but it also helps tenderize the meat. I've heard of people boiling their ribs before baking or grilling them, but I have never tried that method yet. I was really happy with the result of this extended baking time, so for now I'm sticking with this method.


Adapted from Diana Rattray
Serves 6

4 pounds spareribs
salt and pepper, to season
garlic salt, to season
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (white wine or cider should all work as well)
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 heaping tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat your oven to 250°F/120°C. Line 2 9"x13" Pyrex dishes with foil (do not try to skimp on the foil or you will be stuck scrubbing dishes). Cut your ribs into individual serving size.

Generously season your spareribs with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Arrange in your baking dishes and cover with foil. Bake for 2 hours.

In the meantime, combine the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. 

Once you remove the ribs from your oven, increase the heat to 375°F/190°C. Drain off any liquid in the Pyrex. Pour the marinade over the ribs and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Baste the ribs ever 10 minutes until cooked.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment