Sunday, July 15, 2012

Oat and Lemon Butter Cookies


I was sitting at home one rainy evening when I had a sudden craving for cookies. I seem to always want a cup of tea and cookies when the weather gets like this. Of course the grocery store had already closed and I didn't have all that many ingredients at home. I knew I could make a butter cookie, but I also really wanted to have a cookie with oats. So I combined the 2 and ended up with the perfect cookie to go along with my massive cup to tea (no really, I drink my tea out of the biggest mug in the house). These are extremely easy to make and don't take long in the oven. I sliced some dried apricots on top of mine, but you can go without them. Or you could top the cookies with your favorite nuts or chocolate pieces. This cookie is crispy on the outside, but not hard. I also like my cookies slightly under-baked so if you prefer yours crunchier just leave them in the oven a little longer.


Adapted from Group Recipes
Makes 16 to 20 cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1 stick (113 grams) plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
5 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 small lemon, zested
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 egg
1/3 cup quick cooking oats

Preheat your oven to 350ºF/175ºC. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Roll dough into 1" to 1 1/2" balls. Place on cookie sheet and gently press down with a fork to slightly flatten the cookie. They will not expand much while baking.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how done you want them and their size.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment