Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad with Basil and Feta Cheese


If you're ever unsure of what kind of a side dish to make for a summer meal, corn salads never fail. Last year I was all about the southwestern corn salad, but this year I came across this Bobby Flay recipe and am obsessed. The ingredients sounded a bit odd at first. I couldn't imagine rice wine vinegar mixing well with feta cheese, but the combination is surprisingly good. I'm glad I got my fix of this when I was back in California since the sweet corn available in Switzerland isn't all that great. It makes me realize how well stocked the grocery stores in the US really are.


Last weekend I wanted to throw some asparagus on the grill, only to realize that for the Swiss, asparagus season ends in the Spring time. Living in a tiny village doesn't help either. I'm lucky if they have all the regular produce in stock. I've also realized that my stash of spices and Mexican food products that I brought here will probably run out sooner than expected. I've also started writing a list of things I need to start stocking up on every time I am visiting my family.


So all of you lucky enough to have an abundant supply of sweet corn this time of year, give this salad a try. It will not let you down. The original salad was made with blue cheese instead of feta, so use whichever you prefer. I also think you could easily sub a red onion or scallions for the sweet onion if you don't have access to one. This salad will still taste good the next day, but is definitely best served fresh.


Adapted from Bobby Flay
Serves 4 to 6

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh bail leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper
5 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
8 ears of sweet corn, grilled in the husk and kernels removed
1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 pine cherry tomatoes, halved
8 ounces feta cheese
basil sprigs, for garnish (optional)

In a blender, combine the vinegar, basil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and oil. Blend until smooth. If you make this in advance, bring to room temperature before using.

In a bowl, combine the corn kernels, onion, and tomatoes. Mix in the dressing. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Top with feta cheese and basil just before serving. Mix and enjoy. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment