Sunday, March 6, 2011

Easy Scones


Ever since opening a jar of lemon curd last week, I've been craving some warm, fluffy scones to smother with this lemony goodness. The reason I kept putting it off stems from a scone disaster that occurred about 10 years ago. The last time I made scones, I spent a fair amount of time incorporating the butter into the flour by hand and following a traditional scone recipe. Sadly, this decade old scone experience led to what could be defined as either 1) a lethal weapon, or 2) a rock.


I asked around for a scone recipe and it turns out a pretty common Aussie method for scones is extremely easy and tastes just as a scone should. I don't know the origin of the recipe as it was discovered by word of mouth, but whoever came up with it is incredibly skilled at making baking easy. I know, the ingredients made me skeptical at first as well. But give them a chance, they make a great breakfast/brunch food in only 25 minutes.

Update: I made these scone for a British brunch and received so many compliments. One woman said they were the best scones there (and there were quite a few variations). They were the first ones gone from the brunch spread. I obviously did not mention that they were probably also the easiest scones to make.

Makes 6 scones
Prep time: less than 5 minutes
Bake time:15-20 minutes

1 1/2 cups self rising flour, plus extra for kneading/dusting
1/2 cup heavy cream, plush extra for brushing
1/2 cup sprite/7-up/lemon flavored soda

Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Turn onto a floured surface and quickly knead together. Pat out the dough to a 1 1/2" thick square and either cut out your scones with a knife or cookie cutter (approximately 2 to 2 1/2" circle).

Place scones on your baking sheet, brush with some cream, and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, just until lightly browned. Enjoy while warm with butter, jam, lemon curd, cream or any of your favorite scone spreads.


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Can you suggest an alternative to the Sprite or 7 up as I try to avoid artificial ingredients--
    Love the story tho. Especially the definition of a "scone experience " gone bad. I laughed to myself. My family is Scottish, no one person agrees on a scone recipe as the best--'cept their own. It's a war effort

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried these with another carbonated beverage, but there are some natural alternatives you could try out, like Hansen's and Blue Sky.

      Delete